Our Poster and Speaking Contests are one of the many programs that our Youth and Education committee coordinates to educate and inspire Wisconsin’s youth so they continue to care for our beautiful state.
The Youth Education Committee directs annual events, such as these contests, to help pass on Wisconsin's rich conservation history to future generations.
Conservation Awareness Poster Contest
The Conservation Poster Contest is open to kindergarten through 12th grade students and posters are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Conservation message
- Visual effectiveness
- Universal appeal
- Individual artwork
Past Poster Contest themes have included:
- Healthy Soils are Full of Life
- Dig Deeper Mysteries in the Soil
- Soil to Spoon
- Conservation Habits=Healthy Habitats
- Water Is Life
Students compete at county and area competitions with the winning posters moving on to compete at the State Competition in March at the WI Land+Water’s Annual Conference. The first place posters from the state competition will represent Wisconsin at the National Association of Conservation Districts annual meeting.
Conservation Awareness Speaking Contest
The Conservation Speech Contest is open to Elementary Division- Grades 5-6, Junior Division- Grades 7-8, and Senior Division-Grades 9-12. The Conservation Speech Contest aims to promote the conservation of natural resources and the protection or enhancement of environmental quality.
Emphasis is placed on the subject as it relates to the locality or to Wisconsin. Students compete at county and area competitions, with the winners moving on to the State Competition in March at WI Land+Water’s Annual Conference. The first place winners in each category share their speeches at the conference luncheon.
Interested in starting a poster and/or speaking contest in your county but not sure where to start? Download the Youth Education Committee Turn-Key packet for a step-by-step guide
- Entry Form-2021 Conservation Poster Contest Guidelines (parental signatures required). Please note: poster sizes can be 12x18 or 14x22 (2022 forms coming soon)
- Entry Form-2021 Conservation Speaking Contest Guidelines (parental signatures required) (Please note time-limits listed on the form. Students must stay within the time-limit to be eligible to place) (2022 forms coming soon)
- 2021 Conservation County/Local Level Poster and Speaking Winners Entry Form (2022 forms coming soon)
- 2021 Conservation Area Level Poster and Speaking Winners Entry Form (2022 forms coming soon)
- 2021 Conservation Poster and Speaking Contest Dates (2022 forms coming soon)
2021 Poster & Speaking Contest
2021 Poster Theme: Healthy Forests = Healthy Communities
The youth speeches are always the highlight of the the WI Land+Water Conference and usually kickoff the event. This year, with a virtual conference, the Youth Education Committee hosted its 64th Annual Conservation Awareness Poster and Speaking Contest and first virtual competition.
Students from across Wisconsin submitted their speeches about relevant conservation topics, and these were judged prior to the start of the conference. WI Land+Water members and guests were able to view the first-place winning speeches and vote on the conservation posters that were displayed on the virtual conference platform.See the Results
“Their knowledge, passion, and dedication to the state's healthy future is so impressive. Their speeches are dynamic and informative, showing a sophistication beyound what many may expect for their years on this planet. But with what they bring to the table, the years ahead for the state and planet look brighter.”