The WI Land+Water Technical Committee provides an opportunity for technical staff and other WI Land+Water members to meet, discuss and evaluate land conservation related technical issues with their peers, share experiences and lessons learned, and solve common problems and/or improve technical services. This includes, but is not limited to, conservation planning, inventory, evaluation and modeling tools, technical certification, conservation practice design and implementation, and sponsoring technical workshops or tours. This Committee may also coordinate county review comments on draft technical standards that are produced by other agencies and organizations through the Standards Oversight Council (SOC) process or other means. The Committee may create Subcommittees to focus on specific technical issues or programs. The Committee is authorized to issue position statements on behalf of WI Land+Water on technical issues within guiding principles approved by the WI Land+Water Board of Directors.
|Current Committee Members:|
The WI Land+Water Technical Committee shall be comprised of conservation department staff representing each area with no maximum to foster participation, and encourages representation from Land Conservation Committee (LCC) Members. There shall be a maximum of two votes per area; however the Technical Committee generally operates under consensus for decisions.
For more information, you can contact the Technical Committee Chair:
Matt Hanewall, Chair
La Crosse County Department of Land Conservation
You may contact all the members of the Technical Committee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical Photo Gallery
The Technical Photo Gallery was designed to share engineering achievements and potential solutions for unique sites. This is a resource to view and share your and others' best work with getting conservation on the ground. Click here to visit the Gallery, view photos and information relevant to your situations, and submit your own photos so others can learn from your experiences.
2018 Fall Technical Tour
Every fall, the Technical Committee hosts an educational tour that highlights various conservation practices or issues around the state. The 2018 Fall Techncial Tour will be hosted by Rock County. The date and other details will be provided soon.
2017 Fall Technical Tour
The 2017 Fall Technical Tour was hosted by Sheboygan County on Thursday, October 12, 2017. Nearly 40 attendees joined the tour from counties across the state. Tour stops included:
- Majestic Crossing Dairy: A CAFO constructing an ultra-filtration and reverse osmosis system to concentrate nutrients into 30% of the original manure volume, while recovering 70% of the original volume as clean water.
- Lake Orchard Aquaponics: A producer of freshwater tilapia and vegetables from a systainable, symbiotic ecosystem.
- Phosphorus Removal System on a Large Agricultural Tile Drain: Phase I of a two-phase project to reduce dissolved phosphorus within a 260-acre sub-watershed of Elkhart Lake. This phase includes an iron filter system designed to remove 70-80% of dissolved phosphorus from drain tile discharge. Phase II will include a secondary treatment tank installed on a conventional private on-site wastewater treatment system.
- August 6, 2014 - agenda, meeting minutes
- December 12, 2014 - agenda, meeting minutes
- March 20, 2015 - agenda, meeting minutes
- June 19, 2015 - agenda, meeting minutes
- August 5, 2015 - agenda, no minutes (Fall Tour)
- December 18, 2015 - agenda, meeting minutes
- March 11, 2016 - agenda, meeting minutes
- June 10, 2016 - agenda, meeting minutes
- August 9, 2016 - meeting minutes (joint with PIC)
- December 9, 2016 - agenda, meeting minutes
- March 31, 2017 - agenda, meeting minutes
- June 9, 2017 - agenda, meeting minutes
- August 15, 2017 - agenda, meeting minutes (joint with PIC Committee),
- December 15, 2017 - agenda, meeting minutes
- April 6, 2018 - agenda, meeting minutes
- June 8, 2018 - agenda, meeting minutes
- August 14, 2018 - agenda (joint with PIC Committee)
- December 6, 2018 - at Hotel Mead in Wisconsin Rapids (formerly scheduled Dec. 14, 2018)
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held at the Portage County Annex, 1462 Strongs Ave, Stevens Point, WI.
1. Promote the integration of technical methods and procedures used by Federal, State, and local conservation programs and agencies.
2. Work with, and provide input and support to, WI Land+Water Committees on technical issues.
3. Approve appointments to non-WI Land+Water Committees that are technical in nature.
4. Encourage development of Technical Standards based on sound engineering practices and field research through SOC process.
5. Assist with the development, distribution, and review of Technical Standards before they are adopted or published.
6. Promote a fair and consistent technical certification process that incorporates the demonstrated knowledge, training, and experience of conservation staff.
7. Promote site inventory and conservation planning tools that are easy to use and account for the wide variety of Wisconsin landscapes.
8. Promote the development of technical guidance documents to assist field staff with planning, designing, and implementing conservation practices.
9. Promote tracking and reporting tools that are easy to use and measure actual implementation of program goals and objectives.
The WI Land+Water Technical Committee will oppose any effort that is in conflict with any of these principles.