Participants will receive an introduction to NEPA and its relationship to the NRCS Environmental Evaluation (EE). You will learn how the NRCS environmental compliance system operates with the following objectives in mind:
• Understand the legal foundations for environmental compliance with a focus on NEPA, the “human
environment,” and demonstrating a “hard look” at the impacts of NRCS actions.
• Recognize other key environmental laws and understand why they are important.
• Recognize the regulatory, policy, and guidance resources for environmental compliance at NRCS.
• Understand how the EE/CPA-52 provides the mechanism for documenting NRCS environmental
compliance with the laws above.
• Recognize how the process of documenting our actions in an EE/CPA-52 saves us time and prevents
environmental and legal issues.
• Know the history of the term “Environmental Evaluation” and where it comes from in NRCS regulations
• Learn how the EE provides local analysis of the impacts of our actions, identifies and explains the use of
an appropriate CE, or documents the use of the appropriate programmatic NEPA document.
• Understand the critical support documents for our CEs and our programmatic NEPA: Conservation
Practice Standards, Network Effects Diagrams (NEDs), Conservation Practice Physical Effects.
• Know where to find environmental compliance resources and who to call for help.