The Role of Birds on the Farm Course: Lesson 6 - Co-Existing and Making Farms Safe for Birds
Upon successfully completing this lesson, participants will be able to:
- Explain livestock situations that are bigger or smaller risks of being sources of pathogens for birds, which could then be deposited on food.
- Give reasons why birds are likely to be a lower food safety risk when farms are in areas with abundant natural habitat.
- Evaluate farm situations (telephone wires, etc.) where birds are more likely to cause contamination.
- Share reasons why habitats like hedgerows do not have a greater risk of food borne. pathogens than the crop itself.
- Appraise circumstances in which farms may cause harm to birds (pesticides and predators).