Baseline Stream Monitoring Training: Sturgeon Bay
May 13, 2023
9:00 am – 3:30 pm
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI
At this hands-on baseline stream monitoring training for new volunteers, you will learn how to measure five important elements of stream health using scientific tools and techniques:
- Water temperature – affects oxygen demand and can threaten creatures’ survival.
- Transparency – takes into account both color and suspended particles in the water.
- Dissolved oxygen – lack of it can cause aquatic animals to quickly leave the area or face death.
- Streamflow – the amount of flowing water in a stream impacts the habitat available for creatures living in and near the stream.
- Stream macroinvertebrates – insects, worms, crustaceans, clams, and other small, boneless creatures that are visible without the aid of a microscope are used to assess water quality based on their tolerance to conditions.