2021 Drainage Tools Workshop
August 24, 2021
8:00 am – 2:00 pm
Learn the basics of using tools to make informed decisions about drainage for crop production and water-quality protection.
What does this workshop cover?
- Drainage Design as a Nutrient Reduction Strategy: Learn how drain spacing and depth affects water quality and crop yield.
- Drain Spacing Tool: Learn the basics of using the tool to estimate the optimum drain spacing that maximizes economic return on investment.
- Controlled Drainage Suitability Tool: Learn to identify land in the Midwest USA with a high chance of being suitable for controlled drainage.
- Subirrigation Suitability Tool: Learn to identify land in the Midwest USA with a high chance of being suitable for subirrigation.
- Drainage Water Recycling: Learn about the features, site suitability, crop yield benefit, profitability, and water-quality benefit of drainage water recycling.
- EDWRD Tool (Evaluating Drainage Water Recycling Decisions): Learn the basics of using the tool to size a pond for drainage water recycling.
- Shallow Drains Tool: Learn to use the tool to make an informed decision about drain depth. The tool estimates the nitrate load reduction of shallow drains compared to deep drains.
- Reducing Phosphorus Loss with P-filters: Learn about the features, site selection, maintenance, installation, and water-quality benefit of P-filters.
- P-TRAP Phosphorus Transport Reduction App: Learn the basics of using the P-TRAP app to design a P-filter for reducing phosphorus loss in drainage discharge.
- Drain Sedimentation Tool: Learn to use the tool to identify soil at risk of drain sedimentation (sediment clogging the drain).
- Nutrient Loss Calculator: Learn to use the tool to get an idea of nutrient loss from your tile, so you can improve profitability and downstream water quality. Listen to real-world examples of how producers are modifying their farming practices based on the tool's results.